Sudiiiiiii strikes back
Sunday, May 14, 2006
  Decisions decisions decisions...
Every day we make thousands of decisions about anything and everything, most of them subconsciously, but we do make them. Right now it's 1pm and today I have already made more decisions than countable, although the majority of them are significantly insignificant.

I decided to get up and drink a glass of water at 6am this morning instead of shutting my eyes and drifting back into the wonders of dreamland. Dreams....ahhhhhhhhhh...Love 'em. I had the most bizare dream last night. It involved a guy who appeared to be exactly the same as Luke, he was even called Luke!! The only difference being he had a different nose and was not the Luke I know, so I started making all these random connections that he was Luke's half brother (?!?), and then he whipped out all these random photos which confused me even more... Going off on a slight tangent I will return to my point...

After arising from my stinking pit I decided sit and revise the monotony of the physics text book. This was the alternative to relaxing and listening to music as I would much rather be doing. Life's a bitch eh?

I decided to make my mum a Mother's Day card and 10 minutes ago I decided to stop revising and vaguely entertain myself by writing this blog. I can see you're bored already. Tough luck, I'm not!!

In the process of writing this down I have realised that most decisions we make are based on what we feel we need. I got up and drunk a glass of water because I was thirsty, my body told me I was lacking fluid, and I needed to replenish it, so I got up and grabbed a glass.

I decided to revise because I'm in the middle of my O Levels. In hindsight anyone can say
"Man, O Levels don't mean anything at all, you shouldn't get worked up about them!! And at any rate they are they easiest things everrrr!" Shut up. When they are the first major exams you are taking they do mean quite a lot. I need to revise because I want to do my personal best, that's mentally how my mind works. If you aren't going to do something well through sheer laziness, but you are capable of doing it well, why bother to do it at all?? I just don't see the point in that(ok this only applies to public exams, I don't give about anything else hehe). So therefore, from my perspective at least, I decide to revise because I need to. I need that sense of personal satisfaction when they are all over. I also need to justify going to school for the last two years. Imagine wasting two years of your life and getting nothing out of it. Make sense?

As for the Mother's Day card, I decided to make one because I feel I need to show my appreciation for the one person who is always there for me no matter what. I know Mother's Day is a commerical thing and just another way for companies to make big bucks, and many feel that you shouldn't conform to it.... I however, do feel that at least once a year I need to say thanks for being there and sorry for being such a bad daughter (ha ha). Anyway, how am I supporting these mega businesses if I make a card myself? I suppose there is some way of proving me wrong.... but yet again I am drifting away from the point. Sorry :(

FINALLY: MY POINT
I decided to write this blog because I needed to get my thoughts on paper about something that has been bothering me for quite a while, my way of dealing with it. Maybe if I write it down it'll put things in perspective and then I will be able to make a right decision and not end up regretting anything. Maybe it won't. Either way writing my thoughts down will have amused me for at least half an hour by the time this is finished.

A Level choices. How is one supposed to decide what subjects one wants to take when we have no idea of what we want to do in the future, why we need those subjects. It's such a huge thing to jump on poor unsuspecting 16 year olds like myself. lol. I reckon we consciously decide to do something only when we have some idea of the outcome, the result, so therefore we can justify it. You could argue that if you play Russian Roulette you have no idea of the outcome. This is true to a certain extent, but you do actually have a large idea indeed. You either live or you die. Simple. Please don't ask me why people feel they need to play RR, because that goes beyond me.

Back to A Level choices. What if you have NO idea what you want to do? That's completely normal right? Or there are just too many things that interest you. I'm finding it hard to decide what subjects to take next year because I have no idea why I would need to do them, as I have no idea what I want to do in Uni and subsequently in later life. One day, after watching a medical drama on TV I think to myself that medicine would be cool. The next day I'm thinking Law, the next maybe Psychology, and the day after I'm on to History & Politics. What about Maths eh? I managed to narrow myself down to four subjects that would pretty much cover all of those things that I am interested in; History, Chemistry, Biology and Maths. Maybe not the best fit for any one of them but at least it keeps my options open right?

Then Charlieeee(Mr Shearer, our delightful and over competitive director of studies) called me to his office and imparted his wisdom. He told me that he didn't imagine that I'd do medicine and sees me as more of a humanities sort of person, and reckons I should do Economics instead of Chemistry. What the hell does he know of what I want to do??!?! What if I did drop Chemistry and by the time I'm 19 and about to begin a degree in pop music between October 1996 and January 1997 (my new found interest, universities are catering to everyone these days eh?), I decide that ACTUALLY I want to be a doctor, as I have matured emotionally and felt I needed to help people (!!??!). It'd be a right kerfuffle.
What to do then? Chemistry or Econ?

Conclusion: I'm utterly aimless and have no direction. Strangely however, after writing this (very longwinded and extremely confusing) blog down it feels down right good. Where's the excitement in having planned out your life at age 16? I have friends who know exactly what they are going to do when they leave school... right up until they die actually. Well rather their parents do. A bit scary if you ask me. With things slightly in perspective, I think I'll just go with the flow and hope for the best...
 
Comments:
First of all, lemme comment about your introduction. It was long, and "unique".

You took such a great length to come to the main point.

Nonetheless, you made your point loud and clear[at least to me].

When I took my O level, I have no freakin' clue what I wanted to do with me life. Life was easy at that point. I have all the necessaties that I needed at that time. I don't have to worry about money, etc...

Thus, I took my O level, [did really well, as the matter of fact] and decided that I want to stay closer to my family. My only option is to go for my A level. Thats two years in the same town, living with my family.

But I know that I wanted to do something with Sciences, and not non-Sciences. I wanted to be a Doctor, when I finished my O level. Changed my mind copule of times, until I got to The States. Changed my major from Microbiology to Accounting. From there, I changed it to Engineering, then to General Biology, and lastly to Biotechnology.

So, you are cool at this moment.

Just try your best to figure out what interests you the most, and what scares the shit out of your living soul, and ya will be fine.

Lastly, you are still a baby. Take your time, and try to understand yourself before getting all crazy about your future-taking.

But before all that, make sure that you ace your O level.

Best of lucks.
 
hi there, since you visited my blog....i shall visit yours. not quite read anything yet but will do....oh, i see you are a monthy phython fan (hope i spelt it right).... haha.
 
ok, who plans life at 16? lol. good luck with your o levels. it ll be a breeze. dont worry too much.
 
Just dont take econ. Its a bitch : )
 
hey....triped across ur blog from kottu...OLs r tough (atleast at tht point)..so revisin is a brilliant idea...lol
anyhow...im a 3rd yr med studnt nd i hav been wantg to b a dr from like when i was a 1 day old baby (or perhaps i was forced into liking it) ... but .... its not really wat i want to do nymore...too much studyg....i mean reaallly toooo mucccch studyg. u cant exagerate. nd at the end of the day theres no point where u can really put away those books nd have fun. nor is it the career in which u can make good money (atleast not until ur waaay tooo old to make use of the money). and ur responsible for other peoples lives. nd its not funny.

ok thts too much writing 4 me.
laters
 
d u use messenger?addy?
 
yeus dilsiri. carcs20@hotmail.com :-)

riz: but there must be so much satisfaction in saving peoples lives nuh? with sooo many years in uni there must be time for some fun?
 
don't worry too much about not knowing : you will find that, surprisingly, a lot of us have no idea what we want our futures to look like. not knowing is ok, indecisiveness is ok. if not now, then when? people overrate 'knowing'. the best decisions stem from great confusion and lengthy periods of vague indirection. so take your time and pick wisely. stay true to yourself.

big love for the smurfs and the moomin trolls!
 
I just realised that I set out writing this blog because I was pissed off at the system for making us commit to doing something so young, but I ended up completely forgetting about that and getting caught up in my own meandering and perplexing thoughts. Useless.

End product is I write about my own confusion. How self centred ha ha.

There are sooooo many other classics I didn't have time to write about cos my bro needed the computer, I will put them up sooooooon. :-)
 
just dont listen to charlie.. cuz he cant really decide ur life.. he doesnt have rights to do that just do whatever you want.. if he forces you to do econ again go and tell moir that would be helpful(if u do that charlie's gonna hate u hehe)
 
just dont listen to charlie.. cuz he cant really decide ur life.. he doesnt have rights to do that just do whatever you want.. if he forces you to do econ again go and tell moir that would be helpful(if u do that charlie's gonna hate u hehe)
 
Hmmmm, unless you plan on opening someones stomach i.e being a doctor or something it really does not matter which field you choose. To succeeed in business any everything else that does not need something written you just need "Common sense".

Either way all the best! cheers
 
Post a Comment



<< Home
They still call me Sudi. Some things never change.

Name:
Location: Colombo, Sri Lanka

Average joe.. almost



Powered by Blogger