Sudiiiiiii strikes back
Wednesday, April 05, 2006
  When boredom takes over...
With the completion of my first few blog entries, all sources of inspiration have seemingly dried up. What is up with her imagination you must be thinking. The truth is that lethargy has taken over my body and the random tit-bits of nothingness that I am known for by my ever loving friends have long left me. Sad isn't it.


So for now I am going to write a bit about the one thing I have been definitely been doing too little of lately... Reading. Here are my top ten (at the moment seven) reads; not necessarily books, but also magazines, newspapers and comics.
Anything interesting that manages to cure my sporadic fits of boredom:

  1. National Geographic
    It's brimming with suprisingly interesting articles about everything under the sun. You can find out about issues that you never thought would interest you or never knew existed. The range of topics covered is that diverse! The photography is also something that deserves a mention... As Yanik says, it's AWESOME! I especially like the monthly feature they have about a towns from different Zip Code... there sure are some weird ass Hicksvilles out there!

  2. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
    I had to read this for my O Level Literature course and I hated every single word the first time I read it. After five reads it has grown on me to the extent that it now one of my favourite books. Funny eh?
    The description used by Fitzgerald is fascinating. He can make the most insignificant object or person seem the most important thing out there, sometimes with detail to the extent that it's off putting. This however makes the book what it is. With loads of hidden symbols, wacky imagry (thanks Miss Attygalle for that) and a cool plot I would definitely recommend it to anyone.

  3. The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon
    One of my all time favourites, if not out respect for the author who was able to write so convincingly in character as an autistic teenager. I really don't know how he managed to capture what goes through the mind of an autism sufferer but he did and did so very well! A really easy but good read that might leave you with a different outlook on life.

  4. The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole (Series) By Sue Townsend
    I haven't met many people in Sri Lanka who have read this so I am afraid I have to say they have missed out. It is something that every child grows up with in England. The first book in the series, "The Secret Diary Of Adrian Mole, Age 13 3/4" sees Mole as a spotty teenager old with more problems than he can deal with. He is a self proclaimed literary interlectual whose poetry has just been rejected by the BBC, his parents are about to divorce and he has just been dumped by his girlfriend. The irony that is oh so undetectable when you first read it as a 12 year becomes more and more apparent the older you get and with its 1980s context it's hilarious!
    The lastest in the series, "Adrian Mole and the Weapons of Mass Destruction" sees Adrian as a failed thirty something year old, divorced with a child to support. His irony lives on into the 1990s and the book is just as good as the first.

  5. The Week
    I'm such a nerd... but as soon as a new issue is out I rush to the school library to inconspicuously steal it and take it home to read in the confines of my own room. With the only TV of the house being in my brother's room, I really cannot be bothered to risk cutting my life short by venturing into his stinking pit. Instead I resort to reading "The Week". It's a British based news magazine that I find an interesting read. It has a good overview of the happenings in the world and some good movie reviews of independent films as well as the bigger ones. Saves me from dying during my free periods.

  6. Inspector Morse Series by Colin Dexter
    You might have seen the BBC TV series of these books, but if you haven't it's just your average detective series to be honest. I can relate to it because it is set in my home town, and all the places mentioned I know or have been to. That's what makes it cool. Actually I have changed my mind, it's not average. It's really really good, otherwise I wouldn't be writing it here.

  7. TIN TIN Series by Herge
    I love this comic soooooo much. Bah to all the other comics out there. Tin Tin is lightyears head. With the good old Captain, Snowy and the rest of the gang I never ever get bored of reading the series. Ever. Poo to Spawn and Sin City.

  8. The Bible
    For reasons other than the obvious... Some of the stories are bizarre!

  9. Boy & Going Solo by Roald Dahl
    Anyone who has read these books will know why I love them so much. Dahl must have had the most amazing childhood ever if everything written is actually true. His random diversions into his family history could have been so dull and boring but they're not at all. Both Boy & Going Solo are awesome!

 
Comments:
cutlet.. god she look adorable wen she was a kid kna??.. how did she turn up2 b a 6 feet party animal/brainiac?? anyways she is really cool neva met... her 'type' b4... she is reallllly a nice person to kno and at times can b a good person to rely on.. and pls note at times cuz wen she isnt in a mood to b relied on well she would jus stare at you hehe.. long live cutlet.. hehe tc
 
You haven't read the bible Yhev?! Shame on you! May you burn in hell along with the other infidels !!
 
god...whos the nerd now??
 
For sum fuckin weird reason I like all these fuckin books as well!Anyway I enjoyed da rest of your very insightful blog (especially da phrases). Rock on my fellow non Jihad!!!!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home
They still call me Sudi. Some things never change.

Name:
Location: Colombo, Sri Lanka

Average joe.. almost



Powered by Blogger